Have you ever thought of why we write essays? Why teachers always emphasise on writing an essay for a beginner, as well as for students at higher educational level? Throughout our academic career, we are almost being forced to write an essay on sometimes assigned topics, or on self-chosen topics. And each time we experience panic, until we acquire the real idea behind writing an essay, its purposes and ways to deal with its significant parts.
Apart from the tacky things, when we make the cat come out of the bag, the mystery is solved and essay writing becomes easier. Let us solve the mystery here:
- Starting from a question, proceed to brainstorming ideas for the essay topic. Having different ideas for a topic ensures highlighting different aspects of it.
- Select a topic which is too near your thesis statement; while selecting topic, consider your familiarity with the topic and give priority to your interest.
- After selecting a topic, make an organised plan to work.
- Start planning by writing your outline for it. An outline should be comprised of a detailed plan including the sources of research. Research well on your topic and do not stick to one source; use internet and online resources, as well as books, journals, and any published material relevant to your topic.
- Take notes of the researched material and write significant points that cover aspects of the topic.
- After jotting the information, write the first draft of your essay and organise your collected information accordingly. It is, therefore, necessary to work in an organised way.
- Re-read and re-check your first draft by making amendments to its organizational pattern along with grammatical mistakes or errors being made.
- Write the final paper and proofread the content
Writing an essay serves to multiple purposes. It is, therefore, crucial to understand the purposes behind essay writing to deliver the best of writing every time.
College essays are mostly written on controversial topics, or on ethical debates. It plays a key role in accepting or denying an idea, query or issue. The college essay questions are mostly technical or logical which emphasize on giving your view point about it.
A college essay needs to be backed up with facts, evidences and proofs to defend your views. The significance of college essay does not only depend on arguing or defending your viewpoints, but also your writing does matter. Arguing in a calm way is much effective than writing in an aggressive tone. Using a correct tone at correct timings may influence the writers. A college essay should not be written too long or too short. It may not exceed more than 5 pages and should not be less than one and a half page. Always patronise your work using facts and figures that can be rechecked.
A college essay may not be copy pasted from any source, i.e., plagiarism is a serious crime which can result in your termination from educational institution or you may be “black listed”. It should be understood that plagiarism is a serious crime which may cause serious damage to your academic career.
Getting admitted in a college depends on GPA, SAT results, interview and your writing abilities that may lead to successful career pathway.
A college essay must be edited and proofread according to the requirement of the institution. If they are strict to their rules, then follow what they have asked from you. The referencing should be cited in the required format.
Article lesson: College essays are the true reflection of your mind-set and thinking. The basic concept behind it is to check students ‘abilities and calibre by knowing their point of views regarding a certain controversial topic.
Essays are a great source of enhancing writing and researching skills on an individual and group basis, which is commonly used in schools, colleges and universities. A student has to face many of its forms during his/ her academic career. But the four basic types which are crucial to be practiced are:
A thesis statement is a major tool that describes the whole essay content by starting from a broader perspective and narrowing it down by coming to a main subject. It is the main incorporating idea that supports the essay mainly. Due to its significance, it is suggested to be included in the introductory paragraph.
An introduction paragraph should refine the thesis statement by giving a little description to it. It should consist of the basic points discussed through the essay.
The body of an essay should comprise of the main points that are needed to be extended in different paragraphs along with the evidences. The issues and ideas should be summarised in a way that it should connect to the main subject again and show a connection between them.
A conclusion is therefore more important than an introduction and the body. The conclusion throws light upon the subject of an essay comprising of three to four related and relevant points. It is sometimes called a reviewing part of an essay that does not allow repetition of words.
Including anecdotes in the beginning of an essay can give great results in the end. Including anecdote in the beginning meant that there has to be one at the end too. The essay papers should include an introduction, a thesis, a body and a conclusion.
When you are done with writing your essay, prepare yourself to edit and proofread your content. Editing is the most crucial factor that helps in formulating a perfect essay. It is where everyone can make changes to any part of an essay.
Article lesson: Before one gets started to write a paper, it is necessary to learn the techniques which will make it a quality essay.