Have you ever thought of why we write essays? Why teachers always emphasise on writing an essay for a beginner, as well as for students at higher educational level? Throughout our academic career, we are almost being forced to write an essay on sometimes assigned topics, or on self-chosen topics. And each time we experience panic, until we acquire the real idea behind writing an essay, its purposes and ways to deal with its significant parts.
Apart from the tacky things, when we make the cat come out of the bag, the mystery is solved and essay writing becomes easier. Let us solve the mystery here:
- Starting from a question, proceed to brainstorming ideas for the essay topic. Having different ideas for a topic ensures highlighting different aspects of it.
- Select a topic which is too near your thesis statement; while selecting topic, consider your familiarity with the topic and give priority to your interest.
- After selecting a topic, make an organised plan to work.
- Start planning by writing your outline for it. An outline should be comprised of a detailed plan including the sources of research. Research well on your topic and do not stick to one source; use internet and online resources, as well as books, journals, and any published material relevant to your topic.
- Take notes of the researched material and write significant points that cover aspects of the topic.
- After jotting the information, write the first draft of your essay and organise your collected information accordingly. It is, therefore, necessary to work in an organised way.
- Re-read and re-check your first draft by making amendments to its organizational pattern along with grammatical mistakes or errors being made.
- Write the final paper and proofread the content
Writing an essay serves to multiple purposes. It is, therefore, crucial to understand the purposes behind essay writing to deliver the best of writing every time.