Have you ever thought of why we write essays? Why teachers always emphasize on writing an essay for a beginner, as well as for students at higher educational levels? Throughout our academic career, we are almost being forced to write an essay on both the assigned and self-chosen topics. Each time we experience panic, until we come up with a real idea behind writing an essay, its purposes and ways to deal with its significant parts.
Apart from the tacky things, when we make the cat come out of the bag, the mystery is solved and essay writing becomes easier. Let us solve the mystery here:
- Starting from a question, proceed to brainstorming ideas for the essay topic. Having different ideas for a topic ensures highlighting its different aspects.
- Select a topic which is close to your thesis statement; while selecting topic, consider your familiarity with the topic and give priority to your interest.
- After selecting a topic, write an organized work plan.
- Start planning by writing your outline for it. An outline should be comprised of a detailed plan that includes the sources of research. Research well on your topic and do not stick to one source; use internet and online resources, as well as books, journals, and any published material relevant to your topic.
- Take notes of the researched material and write down the most significant points that cover the main aspects of your essay paper topic.
- After jotting the information, write the first draft of your essay and organize your collected information accordingly. It is, therefore, necessary to work in an organized way.
- Re-read and re-check your first draft by making amendments to its organizational pattern along with grammatical mistakes or errors being made.
- Write the final paper and proofread the content
Writing an essay serves multiple purposes. It is, therefore, crucial to understand the purposes behind essay writing to deliver the best of writing every time.
College essays in Australia are mostly written on controversial topics, or based on ethical debates. They often play a key role in accepting or denying a certain idea, query or issue. College essay questions are mostly technical or logical with an emphasis on expressing your substantiated point of view on the matter.
A college essay needs to be backed up with facts, evidence and proofs to defend your views. The significance of college essay does not solely depend on arguing or defending your viewpoints. Your writing itself matters too. Arguing in a calm factual way is much more effective than writing in an aggressive or argumentative tone. Using the right tone at the right time may have a great influence on the writers. A college essay should not be too long or too short. It may not exceed more than 5 pages and should not be less than one and a half pages. Always patronize your work using facts and figures that can be rechecked.
A college essay may not be copy-pasted from any source, i.e., plagiarism is a serious violation which can result in your termination from an educational institution or getting “blacklisted”. You must understand that plagiarism is a crime that may cause serious damage to your academic career.
Getting admitted to a college or other educational institution depends on your GPA, SAT/SAT II (GMAT, LSAT, etc.) scores, interview (if possible to conduct), recommendations, extracurricular activities and achievements and your writing abilities expressed in a form of an essay.
A college essay must be edited and proofread according to the requirements set by an institution of your choice. If they are strict with their rules, then you should follow them as closely as possible. The referencing should be cited in a required format.
Article lesson: College essays are the true reflection of your mind-set, creative thinking and writing skills. The basic concept behind it is to check the students ‘abilities and caliber by having them express their points of view regarding certain controversial topics.